Inspired start by Kyi Hla Han Award winner Ervin Chang of Malaysia




 Inspired start by Kyi Hla Han Award winner Ervin Chang of Malaysia 

Following his fine performance on Sunday in the $5 million PIF Saudi International powered by SoftBank Investment Advisers Ervin Chang has once again said how grateful he is for becoming the first recipient of The Kyi Hla Han Future Champions Award.

The Malaysian shot a final-round three-under-par 67 at Royal Greens Golf & Country Club to finish in a tie for 58th, and earn the biggest cheque of his fledgling professional career, US$16,000 – an outstanding result considering the strength of the field.

Last year’s SEA Games individual gold medalist received the Award – an annual mission-driven initiative set up last year in memory of the late and great former Asian Tour number one and Executive Chairman Kyi Hla Han – on the eve of this year’s Qualifying School.

“Alongside the financial support from Asian Tour and the Han family, it has given me the relief to go out there and just play, because a lot of times it really comes down to the chicken or the egg, which one comes first,” said Chang.

“A lot of players don’t get the support and can’t take that financial pressure off their shoulders to go there and really play. But at the same time, the award is more than the financial part, and it’s more than the starts you get from Asian Tour, it’s the meaning behind the award.”

The Future Champions programme will see players selected each year, by the Han family and the Asian Tour, to receive funding to help with the costs of their debut season on the Asian Tour.

Added 24-year-old Chang: “It’s how Mr. Han helped build golf in Asia, how he started off with the Asian Tour and how he brought the Asian Tour to today’s level before passing on. The impact he left on the golf community, and the golf scene in Asia as well, hopefully one day I can give back to the golf community with what they are doing with the Asian Tour programme, with the Han family programme”.

“I mean that’s pretty far in the future, but that’s something I’m hoping I can do one day, help golf in Asia and really give back to the community like how Asian Tour is giving me the opportunity, and how the Han family has helped me out. That’s one way of giving back to the community and supporting the younger generation coming out as well.”

After being presented with the Award in Hua Hin two weeks ago, Chang went home to celebrate the Lunar New Year expecting to take a little time off from practice, but the break would be cut short.

Explains Chang: “Yeah, last Thursday I got a text from Asian Tour, it was from Mr. Cho Minn Thant, and he asked, ‘would you like to play the Saudi International? I know it’s very short notice, you don’t have much practice time after Q-School’.  I was actually celebrating Chinese New Year halfway through, I got the text and oh wow, I gotta go practice right now!

“I had taken three days off before I got the text, and I was about to go back practice on Monday actually. Right after I got the text I got my air ticket, got my hotel booked, applied for the visa and went straight to practice until dark. Did the same thing the next day to just try to give myself the best opportunity, and the best shot at making the cut and see what I can do out here.”

After a round of one-under-par 69 on Thursday, Chang found himself playing the par-five 18th hole on Friday one shot off the cut line, knowing he had to make birdie to make it to the weekend.

“Yes, I had been looking at the score board and I saw the cut score was par, and I was like, oh wow. With the wind conditions I thought the cut line was going to be one or two over,” said the Malaysian.

“I saved par on 16 and 17 to give myself one chance on 18 to make a birdie. I knew I had to make a birdie, so I had to go for it. I hit a really good drive, hit a little funky second shot but got it to a good position and chipped it to three feet. And I’m not gonna lie, my hand was a little bit shaky on that putt. I was like, just a left to right simple three-foot putt, just make this putt and you’re onto the weekend. The ball slipped into the hole, and I was like, finally.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incredible Football Festival of India (IFFI)

Doha winner Aryna Sabalenka: ‘I lost my dad in the pre-season. I’m doing this for him’

Asia’s best women’s teams poised for AFC Women’s Club Championship™ return