Chinese Taipei Chaung continues his Table tennis journey for the 24th season

 

Chinese Taipei Chaung continues his Table tennis journey for the 24th season

When Chuang Chih-Yuan steps out at WTT Contender Doha 2023, it will mark his 24th year competing on the international stage.

Now 41, the Chinese Taipei veteran made his debut when he was just 18-years-old. Nobody at the time could have guessed that in 2023 Chuang would remain one of the most feared players in the series.

The one-time World No.3 has come a long way. Chuang's career is full of titles and successes. But even still, he would love to give some advice to his younger self.

"In 1999, at that moment I didn’t think so much when I played," says Chuang. "I would say to myself, enjoy it somehow. Just be more relaxed, everything is going to be fine in the future."

It's advice he hopes the next generation will take on.

"You must be patient and really enjoy the game. It's a nice game and it's a nice world this table tennis world. I know it’s quite difficult when the situation or match is tight. But somehow you have to enjoy it and find the feeling."

It's encouragement with experience at its heart. Chuang's career has seen the coming and going of not only a whole host of players but also changes in the sport itself. Year upon year he has set his mind on what he can control. Chuang's mindset has made him a mainstay of table tennis for more than two decades; against the odds, he has survived.

"I've played for quite long," muses Chuang. "Many things changed; the ball changed, materials changed, rules changed, serves changed. But I don't really care; I just try to improve and I just do what I can do."

Chuang Chih-Yuan remains one of the most dynamic players competing.

Currently, Chuang is World No.17. Behind him is 24 international finals appearances in singles, where he came out on top on 11 occasions. But this success isn't all in the distant past. Chuang is still at the top of the game and is showing no signs of rust.

2022 was a year most players spend their entire career chasing. At one of the biggest events of the year, WTT Champions European Summer Series, Chuang went all the way to the semifinal. During his Hungary hot-streak, he defeated the likes of rising star Alexis Lebrun and big-hitting Liang Jingkun. There was also some silverware to add to collection, picking up a WTT Feeder Series title in Westchester. It was a year in which Chuang proved he is far from done filling the trophy cabinet.

But while not resting on his laurels, Chuang is finding time to rest. Still enjoying success on the table, the 41-year-old is now also capitalising on his time away from it. When he's not competing or training, there is now one place you can find him.

Mostly I stay home," laughs Chuang. "Because of covid, I stayed away from my country for six months. So now I have time, I always stay home with my family and watch movies. Im a boring guy you know. "

Chuang's hunger to win hasn't disappeared in two decades of competition.

Now that year 24 has arrived, what can we expect?

Chuang enters Contender Doha as the 4th seed but it's not something he is putting too much thought in to. Instead, the focus is on survival; a trait his decades at the table has instilled.

"My goal is just to survive the first round, and then after to see. For WTT Series 2023, I never set a goal for myself. I just always try my best and try to enjoy the game."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incredible Football Festival of India (IFFI)

Doha winner Aryna Sabalenka: ‘I lost my dad in the pre-season. I’m doing this for him’

Asia’s best women’s teams poised for AFC Women’s Club Championship™ return