Hojgaard takes lead on first day of Qatar masters 2020








































Hojgaard takes lead on first day of Qatar masters 2020

 

ARMSTRONG VAS

THE PENINSULA

Danish teenager Nicolai Hojgaard produced a remarkable run of scoring on the back nine to take a one-shot lead at the 2020 Commercial Bank Qatar Masters in Doha yesterday.

On the first day of the European Tour event, the 18-year-old, runner-up behind Sergio Garcia at the KLM Open last season, started with a seven-under 64 to hit the front at Education City Golf Club.

Hojgaard hit the turn in 35, then birdied seven of the next eight holes before a second bogey of a stunning opening round ensured he had to settle for the slenderest of advantage. “It was a good day,” said Højgaard.

“I started out slow, was playing really bad on the first four, five, six holes - I was still two under at that point but I was just playing it all over the place. My putter was just on fire today, that’s the difference.

“When I came to the back nine I was hitting fairways, hitting it close and rolling the putter. You just hit the button and you keep going. I was hitting the fairway, I was hitting greens, I was getting close on the par fives.

“My putter was just the difference today. I was playing okay with the long game but I was just holing everything. “The back nine is a bit more tricky off the tee so I would say it was more of a three wood on the back nine, I was hitting a lot of three woods and it was pretty good.”

Dutchman Joost Luiten was a shot back, one ahead of Spaniards Jorge Campillo and Carlos Pigem, Italy’s Lorenzo Gagli, Belgian Thomas Pieters, England’s Andy Sullivan and Dane Jeff Winther.

 “I am absolutely pleased. Seven birdies and one dropped shot, it wasn’t really needed that dropped shot coming out of the middle of the fairway but on a golf course like this where it is really tricky on and around the greens, I was out of position, so sometimes you just have to accept the bogey. All in all, I am happy with my game,” Luiten said.

“Yesterday and Tuesday were really bad (winds) so I didn’t do a lot of practise because you can ask yourself if it really helps if you hit into a 50 mile and hour wind on the range. So I tried to stay away from it and played the course, get to know it a bit better and it was beautiful today,” he added.

 “I think on the golf course if you are in the fairway you can be pretty aggressive to the undulated greens. I hit my irons and driver beautiful today which created a lot of chances and I rolled in a couple of putts,” Luiten said.

England’s Marcus Armitage made the first big move of the day, birdieing the second and third and then reeling off a hat-trick from the fifth to get to five under. Armitage, India’s S S P Chawrasia, Scottish pair David Drysdale and Scott Jamieson, South African D a r r e n F i c h a r d t , Frenchman Benjamin Hebert and South Korea’s Kyongjun Moon were three off the lead.

 

 

 

 

Former winner Pepperell disqualified after scoreboard blunder

ARMSTRONG VAS

THE PENINSULA

Former champion Eddie Pepperell’s hopes of collecting a second trophy in Qatar suffered a cruel blow at the Education City Golf Club course as he was disqualified from the European Tour event.

 

The 29-year-old, who did not take part in last year’s event, besides eyeing The Mother of the Pearl Trophy was aiming to climb back into the world’s top 50 in time to qualify for The Masters.

 

The winner of Qatar Masters in 2018, Pepperell was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard, erasing what was an opening-round 71, which was seven off the lead. A mix-up on his scorecard led to his second disqualification from a European Tour event in four months.

 

Pepperell took to Twitter to explain the bizarre situation that led to his disqualification “Quite disappointing as I actually took the time to change the original error, only to make a costlier one myself,”

 

Pepperell tweeted. “I asked the referee if this had any bearing on my disqualification but it didn’t. … The rules are the rules and I 100% accept that, but I can’t help feeling that this particular way of disqualification is a fair distance away from common sense, and that’s also disappointing. I enjoyed the course however and hopefully next time I’ll do a better job,” he said.

 

Pepperell is now struggling to get back in the world’s top 50 in time for The Masters Pepperell, who pulled out of last week’s Oman Open due to coronavirus fears, entered the week ranked 63rd in the world after an erratic start to 2020, missing the cut in South Africa and Abu Dhabi before bouncing back with a tie for 11th at the Dubai Desert Classic.

 

His hopes of making a second appearance at Augusta National next month are now in the balance, as Pepperell would need to be ranked in the world’s top 50 after the WGC Match Play, also an event he is now battling to qualify for. Pepperell’s disqualification in Qatar follows his bizarre early exit in Turkey last November, when he ran out of balls after losing “four or five” in the water at the fourth during the third round and was unable to complete the hole.

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incredible Football Festival of India (IFFI)

Doha winner Aryna Sabalenka: ‘I lost my dad in the pre-season. I’m doing this for him’

Asia’s best women’s teams poised for AFC Women’s Club Championship™ return